My Lovely Followers

Thursday 12 October 2017

Whimsy Retreat 2017 - Class Projects

Hello!

I'm back from the Whimsy Craft Retreat 2017, held in Orlando, Florida and super excited to show you the cards we made in the classes I taught there this year.

All 3 classes were taught using new products from the October release, and I've listed those at the end of my post for you with links to the items in the shop.

My first class covered a 2 for 1 project where we made a shaker card and then made a card using the waste from this card with just a few additional pieces.

 For the card above I heat embossed the Snow Flurry BG stamp in white, on Strathmore Bristol Smooth paper and then used Distress Oxide Inks in Wilted Violet, Peacock Feathers and Cracked Pistachio to blend over. I gave a light spray and sprinkled some drops of water before drying thoroughly.

I then cut out my panel with a rectangle die and cut out the SNOW die from the middle, being careful to save all the waste (except the middle of the O which is used on this card) to use on my second card.
I adhered a panel of acetate behind the aperture and glued the middle of the O back on the front.

I carefully attached foam tape to the back being careful to surround my word aperture with no gaps and rubbed the inside lightly with a dryer sheet (this is to prevent the sequins sticking to the static) and filled with a sequin selection that went with the colours of ink I used.
I glued a piece of white card to the back to prevent the sequins falling out and then glued the whole panel to my card base.

I stamped a sentiment from the Snow Flurry stamp set in the same Distress Oxide inks I used to blend my background and fussy cut them out, adhering them to the front of my card over the shaker portion with some Multi Medium Matte. I finished with a few sequins to match the those inside the shaker.


For my second card, I trimmed the waste 'frame' from cutting the panel for my first card to fit my card base and stuck it in place. I then cut a panel of white card stock to fit the inside of the frame and cut the SNOW word die out, towards the bottom of the panel, making sure it was centred and level. This is to use as a guide when adding back the stacked letters as it's easier to get the die straight than all the individual letters.
I stamped a sentiment from the Snow Flurry stamp set onto my panel in black ink and stuck the whole panel to my base card.

I cut the SNOW die cut 3 times from white cardstock and glued each of the letters in a stack, finishing with the patterned letters that were left from our shaker card and glued those in place on my card, using the negative die cut as a guide. 

I stamped 3 of the snowflakes from the Snow Flurry stamp set with Versamark ink and heat embossed in white and then blended over some Distress Oxide inks to match my background. I then cut them with the matching dies and mounted them on my card with a little foam tape.
I finished off with a few gems.

For my second class we got messy with a little ink smooshing and used the Snow Flurry stamp set and matching dies.


I used some distress Oxide Inks again (you could do the smooshing with normal distress or dye inks, but the stamping of the snowflakes would not be as crsip with normal distress inks), along with some Tim Holtz water colour paper,  and smooshed each colour separately, drying fully before moving onto the next.

Once fully dry I flicked with a little white acrylic paint and then stamped my sentiment from the set in black ink.

I stamped 3 of the snowflakes onto white cardstock, from the set using ink to match and cut them out with the matching dies.

I trim my panel to be a little smaller than my card base and add it to the base on top of a layer of cradt foam. I add the snowflakes with foam tape for a little extra dimension and finish with a few clear gems.

My 3rd and final class of the day (I did also do another optional evening workshop covering colouring images with Zig markers and distress inks/markers), covered loose water colouring and the camouflage die-cutting technique.


As with my first card I used the Snow Flurry BG stamp and white embossing powder to stamp and heat emboss a panel of Strathmore Bristol Smooth.

I then took 2 colours of Zig markers, (in this case Pink and Turquoise Green), and a waterbrush and loosely coloured the snowflakes, (by loosely I mean that the effect was quite watery and I didn't worry about colouring outside the lines, in fact it's pretty much encouraged), in pink and some of the loops and swirls in green. I's best to let one colour dry fully before moving onto the second so they are less likely to bleed into each other.

Once fully dry I cut it out with a large rectangle die and used the SNOW large word die to cut out my word from the centre of the card.
I made a card base with some bright pink card stock and adhered my panel directly to my base and then cut the SNOW die another 4 times from the same pink card stock.
I glued the letters in stacks, finishing with the patterned ones and glued them back into the aperture .

I heat embossed a sentiment in white, from the Abstract Christmas stamp set onto a scrap of pink card stock and cut out the sentiment with a banner die which I mounted across the bottom of my word using foam tape.

I finished the card with a few clear sequins.

Whimsy Products Used
Please click on the picture to go to the item in store

*NEW Snow Flurry Background*NEW Snow Flurry*NEW Snow Flurry Die Set*NEW Snow Word and Snow Caps Die SetAbstract Christmas


I did take a few photos at the retreat and I'll be doing a bit of a write up later about what we did, but for now I hope you enjoy the makes from my classes.

Thanks for visiting!


3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I wish you had classes here too. I'd definitely come to learn a couple of tricks. Those backgrounds are magical. Stunning cards! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there were enough people interested to make a workshop I would certainly consider making visit! xx

      Delete

I love to read your comments and feedback and every one left is read and appreciated. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I will always do my best to answer them. Thanks for visiting!

Linda xx